Author Topic: Skysurfing  (Read 9693 times)

MissAnn1320

Skysurfing
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:33 am »
Does anyone do this at the DZ or know of others who skysurf?  I know the numbers a dwindling...

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
Re: Skysurfing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:14:33 pm »
Quote from: "MissAnn1320"
Does anyone do this at the DZ or know of others who skysurf?  I know the numbers a dwindling...

I dont think we have enough open space for that at Tecumseh. The only guy I know is Mickey the pilot but I dont think he has done it in years. He told me it beats your ass and it takes a lot out of you. Its almost like getting a knee to the face by MJ :lol: . Are you going to get into it?
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Chrissy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Skysurfing
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:11:15 pm »
Noone that I know of around here.  Your best bet would be somewhere in Florida.  Most people I know who use to do it gave it up because of the increased risk and it is also pretty much a solo sport.

MissAnn1320

Skysurfing
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:59 pm »
Quote from: "Chrissy"
Noone that I know of around here.  Your best bet would be somewhere in Florida.  Most people I know who use to do it gave it up because of the increased risk and it is also pretty much a solo sport.

Isn't the risk like that of a wingsuit as well?

PRE7117- Yes Sir as soon as jump #300 is conquered and I find the a few of the die hards in CA and FL.  I'm already a big fan of surfing so it would be fun to try to rock it a few times 8)

Offline sporto

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
    • http://GD-2.com
Skysurfing
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:47:32 pm »
Most folks i know that have done it say it can be scary as hell. Also without having any freefly background, i would say leave it alone for now. If not GO BIG fuck it. :D

Offline kristen

• Regulars & Staff
  • Kinda chatty
Skysurfing
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 04:41:39 pm »
Quote from: "sporto"
Most folks i know that have done it say it can be scary as hell. Also without having any freefly background, i would say leave it alone for now. If not GO BIG fuck it. :D

hahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
Skysurfing
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:15:45 pm »
Quote from: "Chrissy"

Isn't the risk like that of a wingsuit as well?

PRE7117- Yes Sir as soon as jump #300 is conquered and I find the a few of the die hards in CA and FL.  I'm already a big fan of surfing so it would be fun to try to rock it a few times 8)

You got bigger balls than I do, have fun. :?
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

MissAnn1320

Skysurfing
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:19:43 am »
Quote from: "sporto"

Thanks for the input folks!!  

Sporto- I'm not looking to try this next week, Sir.  I understand my freefly knowledge and experience needs to expand a lot more which is why I have continued to jump throughout the late fall and winter and get freefly coaching.  

But I was able to find a dude at Skydive San Marcos that would do coaching (in May/June) for it after I conquer another 50 jumps.  So if anyone else is interested I can pass his info along....  

:wink:

MissAnn1320

Skysurfing
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 11:23:21 am »
Just in case anyone IS interested these are the requirements from Douva at Skydive San Marcos.

1.  Have at least 200 skydives.
2.  Be able to hold a stable sit.
3.  Be able to hold a stable stand.
4.  Be able to do controlled right and left 360's in a sit.
5.  Be able to do controlled right and left 360's in a stand.
6.  Be able to do front and back layouts, starting and ending in a stand (these don't have to be beautiful).

He is willing to coach for free -entirely.  You would only need to pay for your own jumps.  Just an FYI for you folks who are feeling adventurous!   :D

Oh oh and he has beginner boards free of charge.

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
Skysurfing
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:31 pm »
Just in case anyone IS interested these are the requirements from Douva at Skydive San Marcos.

1.  Have at least 200 skydives.
2.  Be able to hold a stable sit.
3.  Be able to hold a stable stand.
4.  Be able to do controlled right and left 360's in a sit.
5.  Be able to do controlled right and left 360's in a stand.
6.  Be able to do front and back layouts, starting and ending in a stand (these don't have to be beautiful).

He is willing to coach for free -entirely.  You would only need to pay for your own jumps.  Just an FYI for you folks who are feeling adventurous!   :D

Oh oh and he has beginner boards free of charge.

cool. I would have to work on my layouts in a stand, I don't think I have ever tried one. ( well not intentionally)