Author Topic: Raft Diving  (Read 7464 times)

MissAnn1320

Raft Diving
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:57:12 pm »
Sooo... where or how is this done???  Anyone done one anywhere??

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
Raft Diving
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:58:58 pm »
Raft diving :? , Why?
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Raft Diving
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:27:27 pm »
I assume you're talking about raft jumps where some people sit inside an inflatable raft, others hang onto the outside, and you chuck it out of a plane? I've done one out in California, not very successfully. I'm under the impression they work best out of tailgate aircraft (ie. Skyvan or Casa), and it's nice if the pilot gives you a 0G launch, although I've heard of people doing (trying?) them out of Otters too.

Very important to lean back on exit if you're inside the raft. Otherwise, I can tell you from experience that you flip out the front of the raft very quickly. I was leaning forward to look out the plane because I didnt know we were about to exit, and ended up flipping out the front and becoming one of the people hanging from the raft.

Probably a good idea to get permission from the DZ and pilot ahead of time, and work out issues such as exit order and break off altitude (higher than a normal jump) before getting on the plane. Don't blow the raft up too much, it will get bigger as the plane goes up.

As for where they're done, I think they're common at some boogies, but you can do them just about anywhere. When I was out at Perris for spring break, they were really just flying their Otters, but they sent the skyvan up for us so we could do the raft thing.

Offline Chrissy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Raft Diving
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:24:42 pm »
Quote from: "Allison"
I assume you're talking about raft jumps where some people sit inside an inflatable raft, others hang onto the outside, and you chuck it out of a plane? I've done one out in California, not very successfully. I'm under the impression they work best out of tailgate aircraft (ie. Skyvan or Casa), and it's nice if the pilot gives you a 0G launch, although I've heard of people doing (trying?) them out of Otters too.

Very important to lean back on exit if you're inside the raft. Otherwise, I can tell you from experience that you flip out the front of the raft very quickly. I was leaning forward to look out the plane because I didnt know we were about to exit, and ended up flipping out the front and becoming one of the people hanging from the raft.

Probably a good idea to get permission from the DZ and pilot ahead of time, and work out issues such as exit order and break off altitude (higher than a normal jump) before getting on the plane. Don't blow the raft up too much, it will get bigger as the plane goes up.

As for where they're done, I think they're common at some boogies, but you can do them just about anywhere. When I was out at Perris for spring break, they were really just flying their Otters, but they sent the skyvan up for us so we could do the raft thing.

I have done two at WFFC and one at Richmond (both are boogies) CASA's seem to work best.  I have done a successful one out of an Otter though!  Definately lean back on exit, make sure everyone is thoroughly briefed about the dive, ie breakoff altitudes because they tend to get zoo-y if not well planned.  Also remember that because you are sitting in a raft you are sitting in a big burble so your altimeter will not read correctly.  Usually you can read off of one of the raft hangers though. They are a ton of fun!

Offline P.F.

• http://home.comcast.net/~thefishwrapper
Re: Raft Diving
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:18:38 pm »
Quote from: "MissAnn1320"

Isn't Raft Jumps the Signature Jump of the "Team Flying Hellfish"?
ttp://home.comcast.net/~thefishwrapper

MissAnn1320

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 01:58:40 pm »
Quote from: "P.F."

I don't know but I want to be apart of both!!

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »

Then come to Rantoul with us next summer for world freefall convention - we'll hook you up!! (but I'm thinking that the Hellfish raft dives there are done topless??)

Offline P.F.

• http://home.comcast.net/~thefishwrapper
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:19:20 pm »
Quote from: "Allison"

Then come to Rantoul with us next summer for world freefall convention - we'll hook you up!! (but I'm thinking that the Hellfish raft dives there are done topless??)

They don't have to be..............If your male......... :-)
ttp://home.comcast.net/~thefishwrapper