Author Topic: Argus  (Read 16046 times)

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Re: Argus
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 07:48:17 am »
Well, I did have a dog in the fight, and I elected to sell my AAD. For the record, the buyer was fully aware of the issues surrounding the unit. I am posting this, simply to suggest to others that the Argus still has some value in other parts of the world. You may be able to mitigate some potential loss. I was able to recover 300.00, and I think I left around 100.00 "on the table".  You'll likely see posts on DZ.COM and elsewhere suggesting that the Argus is worthless; but that simply is not the case....

Lou
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline BRIAN-H

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:59 pm »
Rhanold .... Yes that was the direct quote from Dave Singer Director of Engineering/R&D Program Management
Sun Path Products, Inc.

last year Lauren and I both bought Argus AAD's from shooting-star for 1275.00 each.......looks like we'll be leaving a lot more than 100.00 on the table unless this gets straightened out. >:( >:( >:(
this weekend Lauren will be coming home on leave... maybe we'll rent gear to get a few jumps in.....but that sucks with two good rigs sitting in the closet.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 10:21:01 pm »
If he is privy to further information and chooses to not disclose it, then Sunpath should be sued for keeping something that is unsafe to themselves instead of just protecting thier ass. This is about money nothing more!
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 11:32:06 pm »
I agree that the skydiving world is not about greed but where is the revenue stream for sunpath in this issue? For Sunpath to push this issue and say it is out of greed where is the money?

This issue just confuses me. (no real surprise there)

If he is privy to further information and chooses to not disclose it, then Sunpath should be sued for keeping something that is unsafe to themselves instead of just protecting thier ass. This is about money nothing more!

Offline Morrison

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:27 pm »
I don't think that sunpath knows something the rest of us don't. It's probably more that they are watching their own ass and would just rather not have any issues with it. I know Argus said they found out what happened but they probably would have been better off having a 3rd party look into this or working with them on it. It's easy for Argus to just say "yeah we found the problem and it had nothing to do with us". Who knows. If I owned one I would give it time to sort out before I just ran out and sold mine.

Offline BRIAN-H

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
Here's an  e-mail  I got back from chutingstar about my dilemma.......didn't think they would give a full refund but had to ask. ::)
they are willing to offer a discount........on vigil-2 /// cypres 2...so if you had to choose which one ??? ???

Hey Brian,

Wow. I wasn't expecting that from SunPath. Not sure what is going on there as there are plenty of other manufacturers that are allowing the Argus and other AADs in their rigs such as Infinity, Wings, Jumpshack, Basik and Dolphin, and I know others such as Mirage are working through removing/changing their bulletin.

A full refund would have to come from the manufacturer, Aviacom. I would recommend contacting Aviacom directly at info@aviacom.com. The owner is Karel Goorts. The other option is to sell your unit to jumpers who have rigs that allow the Argus as I have listed above.

We have offered replacement AADs to Argus owners at our cost that are either now uncomfortable using an Argus and/or have a manufacturer that is currently not allowing their use. This would currently be as follows:

Vigil II, $1095
Cypres2, $1305

The wait time for a new AAD ranges from 3-6 weeks from both Vigil and Cypres. We have about 30 on order from both manufacturers, but both are slammed with orders dealing with the approaching summer season as well as the Argus issue. So delivery is slow and we already have customers who are on a wait list with us.

Hope that helps,

Mike

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM, ChutingStar - Gear <gear@chutingstar.com> wrote:

Name: brian harness

Comment: Hi.. my daughter and I purchased Argus aad's from you.....,as you know they have been band in most container systems, we both have sun path javelin .....I had contacted you by phone when the ban went  into effect ....you showed records of my daughters purchase but not mine, I have since
found my chutingstar/visa sales receipt #519 store 1 phone order 3-25-10.... at the time I had called the investigation was still on going as to what might happen so I was told to wait for the out come.
Argus claims there was a foreign object in the cutter so not argus's fault ..... I sent an e-mail to sun path saying in light of this new information from the investigation will sun path be lifting its ban on Argus.....this is the quote I received back from sun path.....

Unfortunately, this report on one of the 4 reported incidents of interference with TSO’ed components is not sufficient and does not relieve any concern nor restore confidence in the AAD.  I suggest considering another AAD as the Argus will most likely never be re authorized for installation in the Sun Path products harness-container systems.
--
Dave Singer
Director of Engineering/R&D Program Management
Sun Path Products, Inc.
910-875-9002  PH
910-875-9272  FX
813-469-9355  M
Dave@sunpath.com

looks like argus may never be re- authorized
my daughter Lauren and I are grounded with the start of the short Michigan skydiving season.............is there any thing you can do to help us ? will you refund the Argus towards the purchase of another brand AAD ?

Thanks Brian

Offline Evan

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »
I don't think that sunpath knows something the rest of us don't. It's probably more that they are watching their own ass and would just rather not have any issues with it. I know Argus said they found out what happened but they probably would have been better off having a 3rd party look into this or working with them on it. It's easy for Argus to just say "yeah we found the problem and it had nothing to do with us". Who knows. If I owned one I would give it time to sort out before I just ran out and sold mine.

It looks like they did have another company look into the latest incident.  The cutter was inspected by an FAA Senior Rigger at Sky Supplies Europe.

"Aviacom SA requested our company to investigate the cutter involved in the so called `San
Marcos’ incident"

Full article with pictures:
http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/News/ArgusBulletin.pdf

From the article:
Upon removal of the pinched loop from the bullet cutter, a small metal foreign object fell out of the
cup of the cutter.  Since the metal object was found between the loop and the blade, it is likely
that it entered the cutter before the loop was inserted or later through the same hole.  This looks
like a small steel ball, as used in ‘shot bags'.

The cutter was damaged in use. It is impossible to reinsert the damaged blade back in the cutter,
so this could not have occurred in the factory.
Without the damage, there is no reason why the cutter should not have performed as designed.
The loop material could not have caused any damage to the hardened stainless steel blade.