Author Topic: In search of a used canopy  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
In search of a used canopy
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:22 am »
I am in search of either a Pilot or Spectre in the 170 ish range. I'm not planning on downsizing until next season. I thought I'd get an early start just in case somebody is flying one of those now, and is also planning on downsizing. Thanks.
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: In search of a used canopy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:53:33 pm »
Any reason why you chose the Pilot and Spectre? Both are good canopies for someone of your experience level, I'm just curious because they're fairly different from each other.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:13:06 am »
I've flown both of those canopies while in student status, and I currently fly a pilot. To my limited experience they seemed similar (easy openings, on heading, and fairly predictable to land). I actually preferred the Spectre, but I needed the color coded lines for packing. What are the major differences that I'm not familiar with Allison?

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »
Mostly the trim of the canopies and their glide angles. Both are great - you'll probably be happy with either.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:00:54 am »
I'm still searching for a canopy and found a few on Dropzone.com. What questions should I be asking the sellers, and what should I be looking for other than repaired damage and the condition of the line sets? Also one of the canopies was manufactured in 2007. What types of fabric was available through Aerodyne a few years ago (by the way the canopies I'm looking at are Pilots)? Which fabric type is recommended?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:07:04 pm »
Pilots have always been made of ZP. They're now also available in ZPX (lower pack volume) but this just came out last year and is an option that costs an extra $200 on new canopies. It's not a bad idea to ask if it's a canopy from this year or last year, but it's probably safe to assume it's regular ZP unless the seller specifies otherwise. Just because there aren't as many ZPX ones floating around and it's the kind of thing the seller would probably advertise as it could be a selling point and could increase the asking price of the canopy.

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
I'm still searching for a canopy and found a few on Dropzone.com. What questions should I be asking the sellers, and what should I be looking for other than repaired damage and the condition of the line sets? Also one of the canopies was manufactured in 2007. What types of fabric was available through Aerodyne a few years ago (by the way the canopies I'm looking at are Pilots)? Which fabric type is recommended?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Questions I like to ask are:
Why are  you selling the canopy?
how many jumps are on the canopy?
How many jumps on the line set?
Where was the canopy jumped?
Where was the canopy packed?
any patches/work done on the canopy?
how are the openings?

I think Allison answered the fabric question for you.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:44:48 am »
Thanks for the information.