Author Topic: What skills do you most want to work on this year  (Read 9002 times)

Offline Mindcake

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
What skills do you most want to work on this year
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:47 am »
You have to vote to see the results!

This poll will help the organizers determine what ppl want to do  ;D
 and what we need to do to get there.

Thanks for your participation

Jim

P.S. if your into CReW just look for the craziest jumpers on the DZ and ask questions  :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:59:44 am by Mindcake »

Offline Mindcake

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
Re: What skills do you most want to work on this year
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »
10 votes and no comments lol

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26:24 pm »
It is a good poll. I chose Canopy flying because it is my passion. If I could only do one thing in skydiving thats what it would be.

Offline M.G. Hammer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:46:18 am »
I checked sit flying, but I really need to work on everything....
Built by Satan, Fuled by Bacon.

Offline Max

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:57:02 am »
I chose canopy because it's what I really love... Other than that, I'll probably try to get into free flying a bit.

Offline The Adam Monster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:00 pm »
you need to modify the poll. i wanted to vote "suck less" or "evade injury"...but, to no avail.

seriously though, i hope to pick up where i left off, learning to fly on my head. in addition to this, i want my camera work  to be taken to the next level, flying in a manner that will allow me to get "the shot" whenever i see it. also, continued progression piloting crossbraced canopies is in order to both keep my body parts intact, and to ensure that ryan doesn't do cooler swoops than me on a consistent basis. the latter is of the utmost importance.
I can not brain today; i have the dumb

Offline Mindcake

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »
lol M.G. we all need to work on everything, I think as you spend time in the sport you will realize that no matter how many jumps you have you will find that what you consider good for you is a moving target because you keep setting the bar higher for yourself. The thing I love most about skydiving is that you will NEVER learn it all.

Adam if I had a Suck less choice in the poll then we wouldnt have learned anything about what people want to concentrate on learning this year  :D  but I too want to make sure that Ryan isnt throwing down better swoops than me or you for that matter  8)

JP

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:13 pm »
You guys are in trouble then. Now that I have glasses and realize I was blind I might be able to throw a decent turn... or see what I am really doing and be scared out of my mind.

I honestly can not wait for the year to start and hope we as a DZ can throw down some great accomplishments this year.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »
You guys are in trouble then. Now that I have glasses and realize I was blind I might be able to throw a decent turn... or see what I am really doing and be scared out of my mind.

I honestly can not wait for the year to start and hope we as a DZ can throw down some great accomplishments this year.
I saw your post regarding accomplishments as a DZ, and have a suggestion to offer. As a student, I struggled with a couple phases of the various progressions, and think the use of video would have been a huge instructional aid. On a recent visit to a different DZ, a "check dive" was required, and my instructor shot video of the entire jump, including the questionable form I displayed while deploying. I learned a ton from that one video. I think new students would benefit tremendously from the ability to actually see their performance, as opposed to just having it recapped during debrief. I realize that your post was referring mainly to advanced skills; but I think anything we can do to foster a more solid foundation will pay dividends as we advance.
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »

I saw your post regarding accomplishments as a DZ, and have a suggestion to offer. As a student, I struggled with a couple phases of the various progressions, and think the use of video would have been a huge instructional aid. On a recent visit to a different DZ, a "check dive" was required, and my instructor shot video of the entire jump, including the questionable form I displayed while deploying. I learned a ton from that one video. I think new students would benefit tremendously from the ability to actually see their performance, as opposed to just having it recapped during debrief. I realize that your post was referring mainly to advanced skills; but I think anything we can do to foster a more solid foundation will pay dividends as we advance.

I completely agree. Video can be a very valuable tool for some students. I would love to see every student jump debriefed with video. I personally try to fly video whenever I can with students unfortunately that is probably less than 50% of the time. Here are some of the barriers I see.

1. Not all instructors/coaches currently jump with cameras and doing so would affect their performance
2. Not all instructors/coaches currently own cameras and to require them to own one would increase their out of pocket expense
3. Not all instructors/coaches are comfortable jumping with cameras
4. a lot of times the instructor/coach will be on a tight call and not prepared with the camera equipment, to require a camera will at some point ask the instructor/coach to speed up some of the briefing to prep the camera equipment.
5. with some students are more concerned with getting on camera then performing the goals of the dive.
6. The student is going to want a copy of the video, distribution of this costs someone whether the student, dropzone, or instructor/coach eat it, it costs.

If we can get past some of these barriers and increase the amount of videos on student jumps that would be an improvement I just currently don't see how to do it. In the meantime I know some instructors/coaches try to jump with their cameras. Also SDT does offer the option of outside video on student jumps again the downside is the expense but at least it is an option.

If I am missing an option of you see a solution I don't please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:14:44 pm by Rhanold »

Offline Mindcake

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:23 pm »
I agree with everything Ryan said, for some a camera can be a great tool, for others (student and instructor) its a huge distraction. What instructors are looking for in a student is their awareness level, not perfection, and a camera can sometimes add stress to an already stressful situation. Now that said if you are the type of jumper that has some bad jumps but can recall everything that happened then a camera may be just the tool to help get the body position sorted out, if you feel that a camera would really make the difference to you then talk about it with your instructor.

P.S. oh and I plan on wearing a camera on EVERY organizer jump I do this year  ;D

JP
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:22:11 pm by Mindcake »

Offline M.G. Hammer

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 10:53:34 pm »
I'm excited to get back to Tecumseh.  I did all of my AFF and coached jumps there.  The weather turned to more of a shit after August then it had already been all summer so I didn't get to make as many newly licensed jumps there as I would have liked.  I enjoy jumping at my local DZ, but getting on a load with more experienced skydivers is difficult due to it being a smaller DZ with a smaller plane.  I have been jumping with less experienced skydivers and our 4-ways look like shit ;D ... but they are fun.  It will just be helpful to have more direction from the experieced skydivers so that I can improve.

And as far as coaches having a camera... I made a bunch of jumps with Katya and it was very helpful to see how poor my body position was! 
Built by Satan, Fuled by Bacon.

Offline whorshack

• Regulars & Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
CRW what more would anyone really ever want to get good at.  ooo and i guess freeflying would be fun to.  my 2 cents with free flying and all the 21 new "A" from last year that want to try it, watch for those prematures they suck. :o

Offline Max

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 06:31:27 am »
CRW what more would anyone really ever want to get good at.  ooo and i guess freeflying would be fun to.  my 2 cents with free flying and all the 21 new "A" from last year that want to try it, watch for those prematures they suck. :o

Most people wouldn't want to freefly with your rig either whorshack :)

Offline whorshack

• Regulars & Staff
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »

Most people wouldn't want to freefly with your rig either whorshack :)

i have seen dumber