Author Topic: Canopy Risk Quotient 2010  (Read 16158 times)

Offline Franz

• DZO
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://www.stuntphoto.com
Re: Canopy Risk Quotient 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »
i am a 34 i really like how i am lower then all of you.  ill be teaching all year to help every one NOT kill me.  and maybe you can have a lower score  ;D ;D 8)

This hurts me a little bit... I feel a little fire right above my stomach.

I think this indicates that there is something this survey is missing!

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »
i am a 34 i really like how i am lower then all of you.  ill be teaching all year to help every one NOT kill me.  and maybe you can have a lower score  ;D ;D 8)

This hurts me a little bit... I feel a little fire right above my stomach.

I think this indicates that there is something this survey is missing!

I just chaulk it up to Whorshack not being able to read and understand all the questions.
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »

Well the only way to get better is to jump and take them one at a time, thats what i'll do. Along with questions and reading before attempting anything new. I think learning to land cross,down wind is essential. I remember my first big boogie, on the ride to altitude one of the organizers yells,"everyone land south" I yelled thats down wind, The reply was in unison like a song from all the freeflyers, " Deal".  Needless to say the crash was a bit painful but i lived, THis time!  The people walking off behind me said, Your first downwind, you owe beer"

Greg, when people argue that you should be banned from these forums I will point to this one post and declare "He Contributed". Good response and great example. I think asking questions is a huge step in the right direction. A lot of knowledge exists at our DZ and for some reason some people are really afraid to ask questions and rather just "see how it goes" in the air. There are a lot of theories as to why but the bottom line is, if you ask questions you are more likely to go into a situation with more knowledge on which to base your decisions. The vast majority of the people in our sport want to see you succeed. Keep asking until you find someone that has the knowledge and willingness to help you. And If someone blows you off when you ask, they are the a** not you.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:54:33 pm »

Well the only way to get better is to jump and take them one at a time, thats what i'll do. Along with questions and reading before attempting anything new. I think learning to land cross,down wind is essential. I remember my first big boogie, on the ride to altitude one of the organizers yells,"everyone land south" I yelled thats down wind, The reply was in unison like a song from all the freeflyers, " Deal".  Needless to say the crash was a bit painful but i lived, THis time!  The people walking off behind me said, Your first downwind, you owe beer"

Greg, when people argue that you should be banned from these forums I will point to this one post and declare "He Contributed". Good response and great example. I think asking questions is a huge step in the right direction. A lot of knowledge exists at our DZ and for some reason some people are really afraid to ask questions and rather just "see how it goes" in the air. There are a lot of theories as to why but the bottom line is, if you ask questions you are more likely to go into a situation with more knowledge on which to base your decisions. The vast majority of the people in our sport want to see you succeed. Keep asking until you find someone that has the knowledge and willingness to help you. And If someone blows you off when you ask, they are the a** not you.

What? People argue that i should be banned?, NNNNOOOOOOOOOO everyone loves me,  I am fun loving, whitty and always respectful of others. Right?

Offline The Adam Monster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »
i cant count high enough to calculate my, so-called, "risk quotient". suffice it to say that i'm so ripping a hard-core downwinder over bob's pond for my recurrency jump.
I can not brain today; i have the dumb

Offline Big J

• Regulars & Staff
  • Kinda chatty
    • Heat of the Moment Event Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »
i cant count high enough to calculate my, so-called, "risk quotient". suffice it to say that i'm so ripping a hard-core downwinder over bob's pond for my recurrency jump.
Let me know when. I would like to set up lots of video. Get together lots of DSLRs to get that heat of the moment shots. Thanks Adam.

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:35 am »
Mark the calendar, I'm about to stand up for Ian (kinda)...

BASE and CRW canopies get a lower score on this quiz, even though they can have similar effects when handled improperly, per their particular situation. CRW air time (or, just flying relative to others in the sky) can be an incredible and valuable learning tool to understanding and being in control of your canopy dynamics, regardless of the canopy.

For new students:
Learning to pilot your body can be compared to first driving a vehicle. In the beginning you probably had to focus on one thing at a time, like acceleration and braking control. As that became second nature you were able to learn new skills. If you are still concerned about your pattern and hitting the dropzone you wont spend much time playing with types of turns, for fear of missing your final target. Being safe, comfortable and confident at your level is what is important. That means something different for everyone, and you can't always find the lesson you need in a book.   

Jump. Jump more. Jump often. Relax.

To Adam:
Dad said no swooping the pond. Now dad says, no swooping the pond. Way to ruin it for everybody.

Offline The Adam Monster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »
To Adam:
Dad said no swooping the pond. Now dad says, no swooping the pond. Way to ruin it for everybody.

i will not be deterred by the wishes of the land owner. plus, it's not *really* my fault if i land off, i'm new to all this skydiving none-sense, and haven't yet developed adequate spotting skillz 
I can not brain today; i have the dumb

Offline holeybody

• Been around
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:58 pm »
geesh!  37     This was and is my goal of the year is to work on canopy control / skilz?  Swoop club here I come...

Offline whorshack

• Regulars & Staff
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »
Mark the calendar, I'm about to stand up for Ian (kinda)...

BASE and CRW canopies get a lower score on this quiz, even though they can have similar effects when handled improperly, per their particular situation. CRW air time (or, just flying relative to others in the sky) can be an incredible and valuable learning tool to understanding and being in control of your canopy dynamics, regardless of the canopy.

my calendar in marked,

as for everyone that has not done altitude hop and pops i love going out and playing.  part of Brian Germain course is to go out and fly relitive with an other person.  this does not mean that you have to stack it up.... ;D.  just to maybe touch end cells someone moves and fly base and the other person fly back to point.  i would say one person should have done it with an experienced jumper before trying it with just any one.  but as long as you take it slow and not attack with double front... ryan.  you can keep everything slow and predictable.  doing these things has made me more confident close to the ground and i would think will help your number go down.  instructor signing out

now who wants to do a 4 stack

Offline Uncensored

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »
I got a 32. but would certainly like to break into the 20s. I think it would be interesting to take this again halfway through the season and then again towards the end of the year....
Who packed that?!

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »
I got a 32. but would certainly like to break into the 20s. I think it would be interesting to take this again halfway through the season and then again towards the end of the year....

I call BULLSHIT!

Offline martymac

• Bridge Day '08
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »
Hey Ryan, I got a 32.  But I would have gotten below thirty if I counted the downwind and crosswind landings that I never intended to do.  Also I hope to get a lower score by making more jumps than the eight I got last year.  Of course I also got 17 BASE jumps so that should count for something.

Marty MacDonald
BASE 1197
Marty

Offline C.H.Risk

• Has more than 2 cents
    • Third Estate Design
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 08:19:46 pm »
Also a 40.  Not surprised - I haven't jumped since November, I am a new jumper, etc.

But I think this quiz is great for using as a reverse checklist.  I have been planning on going out and re-doing my yellow card as soon as I get started this year, just as a good practice checklist.  But I can see with this a few other good focus points that aren't explicitly included in the A-License training, and some things I am not even sure what exactly they mean:

-Induced Speed Landing
-Extended Glide

Anyway, I agree everyone that takes this should do so again maybe in July, and again in September.  I think the personal comparison chart that you'd create at those points in time would be extremely educational.

Offline Evan

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »
For the induced speed landings, you'll want to pull down on both front risers a bit on final approach to increase your landing speed.  You should notice an increase in flare power when you do this.  Extended glide is what you get on an induced speed landing...  :D  Actually, they're probably talking about finding the maximum glide angle for your canopy, which could involve slight brakes or rear risers depending on winds, canopy type, and a number of other factors.