Author Topic: Canopy Risk Quotient 2010  (Read 15197 times)

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
Canopy Risk Quotient 2010
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:01:35 pm »
I posted this a year (maybe 2) ago. Answer the questions and if you want post the results. The important thing is to be aware of your risk. 

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Other_SDRiskQuotient.pdf

Mine is 38.

I guess I have some work to do.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: Canopy Risk Quotient 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:55 pm »
I'm at a 37 now - higher than usual for me because I'm not current and didn't do as many jumps as usual last year. Need to work on that! Also getting quite a few points for having a canopy smaller than 120, even though it's not loaded much.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:18 am »
Hey Ryan, I'm in the high 40's. I sure hope this survey doesn't apply quite the same way for a brand new pilot. Some of those questions don't seem to apply to someone who doesn't own his or her own gear yet?
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline Max

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:40:44 am »
39 for me!

Oh wait... higher is worse.  Damn.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:17 am »
40 for me, Sounds like a bad day of golf too!
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Ok. This is really eye opening. I really thought I was going to be one of if not the highest score. My largest contributor other than my canopy choice is currency... since I have not jumped this winter. To compensate for this I am going to take my fist jumps back slow and open higher than normal until my comfort level returns.

I would like to hear some other plans if you are willing to share.

@ flyering - I don't think you can dismiss the questions because you are new to the sport. Newer jumpers are more dangerous under canopy... read the summery below the servey. It gives some good advice on reducing risk.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:04:56 pm by Rhanold »

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:11:54 pm »
Hey Ryan. I didn't dismiss any of the questions; but some of them apply to one's specific canopy, which I don't have yet. They also ask about braked turns, and flared turns, which I wasn't allowed to do while in student status. How about the one about landing in a cross wind???

My plans involve working on stability, and proper form when I deploy. In AZ, the instructor took a video of my entire dive, which was a real eye-opener as far as my "form" when opening. I too will continue to open high and work on learning my canopy as it will be a brand new one for me. Any suggestions are appreciated.
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline whorshack

• Regulars & Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:43:50 pm »
i am a 34 i really like how i am lower then all of you.  ill be teaching all year to help every one NOT kill me.  and maybe you can have a lower score  ;D ;D 8)

Offline Uncensored

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »
Just cause your lower doesn't mean your safer whoreshack... :D
Who packed that?!

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »
My goal is to become more accurate at landings, I have no intention of swooping ever, but would like to know i can hit any spot i pick out if i need to. I have seen the need at different boogies to be able to do flat turns until you find the correct direction back as well as being able to avoid the unseen (it happens even with your head on a swivel). Diving the canopy, keeping it from loosing altitude so fast are all things i need to be better at.

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:07 pm »
I got a 23 on Cosmo's "Are you approachable?" quiz.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »
I got a 23 on Cosmo's "Are you approachable?" quiz.

how yyyoou! doin!?

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
Hey Ryan. I didn't dismiss any of the questions; but some of them apply to one's specific canopy, which I don't have yet. They also ask about braked turns, and flared turns, which I wasn't allowed to do while in student status. How about the one about landing in a cross wind???

There is a saying "borrowed gear kills". While I do not think that every time you switch gear is a death crapshoot I do think it is safer to skydive on familiar gear. I think the survey is trying to capture that view.

As for the braked turns and flared turns, there is nothing so unsafe about them that you can not do them in your student progression. The braked turns are on the signoff card for the A license. If you are unsure on these maneuvers please see me in person at the DZ and I can go over them with you and get you started on performing them in the air.

Maybe you have not been jumping enough to have a cross wind landing but that day will come. Again, you can see me if you are nervous about it and we could pick a day that would be a light cross wind landing and work on it. This would be a really good way to reduce your risk number.

@ Greg - those are some great goals. Do you have any smaller steps planned to reach them?

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:02:18 pm »
i am a 34 i really like how i am lower then all of you.  ill be teaching all year to help every one NOT kill me.  and maybe you can have a lower score  ;D ;D 8)

This hurts me a little bit... I feel a little fire right above my stomach.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

There is a saying "borrowed gear kills". While I do not think that every time you switch gear is a death crapshoot I do think it is safer to skydive on familiar gear. I think the survey is trying to capture that view.

As for the braked turns and flared turns, there is nothing so unsafe about them that you can not do them in your student progression. The braked turns are on the signoff card for the A license. If you are unsure on these maneuvers please see me in person at the DZ and I can go over them with you and get you started on performing them in the air.

Maybe you have not been jumping enough to have a cross wind landing but that day will come. Again, you can see me if you are nervous about it and we could pick a day that would be a light cross wind landing and work on it. This would be a really good way to reduce your risk number.

@ Greg - those are some great goals. Do you have any smaller steps planned to reach them?

Well the only way to get better is to jump and take them one at a time, thats what i'll do. Along with questions and reading before attempting anything new. I think learning to land cross,down wind is essential. I remember my first big boogie, on the ride to altitude one of the organizers yells,"everyone land south" I yelled thats down wind, The reply was in unison like a song from all the freeflyers, " Deal".  Needless to say the crash was a bit painful but i lived, THis time!  The people walking off behind me said, Your first downwind, you owe beer"