Author Topic: New License, New Canopy, Different DZ  (Read 12807 times)

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
New License, New Canopy, Different DZ
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »
Merry Christmas everyone. I have a question, and I think I know the answer; but thought I would get some input from those of you with much more experience.

I just got my license at the end of the season, and have ordered my own rig. I will be flying a 190 canopy which is one size smaller than the 210 I finished the season with. I want to get some jumps in over the winter so I booked a trip to AZ. My question is simple. New license (only 27 jumps), new canopy, strange DZ. Do I have any business flying out of another DZ, (I'm guessing much busier), with my limited experience? Any input is appreciated.
"Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant" Justice Louis Brandeis

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
Re: New License, New Canopy, Different DZ
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:33:01 pm »
I suggest not killing yourself first of all. .........You will be fine, Eloy has a huge out called the Desert. I started jumping at other DZ's  while gettingand just after getting my liscense. The folks there will be very helpful if you just explain to them and follow the landing pattern. In my opinion not that big a deal because its Eloy. Enjoy and if you can, make use of thier tunnel.
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 05:48:55 pm »
First off, I am glad to see you pause and ask this question. Shows you putting some thought into your situation. Here are my opinions on your situation:

1. Currency - a lisence holders loose currency in 60 days with no jumps. If your last jump was in Tecumseh you are pretty close to if not un-current. This can be taken care of by asking for a recurrency dive at eloy. They have a good training program and will be able to help you out.

2. New DZ - make sure you ask for a full briefing when you first register/check in with manifest. questions to ask would include manifest procedure, loading procedures, where you should be when others exit (ie not in the tail of the skyvan/cassa), exit order, spotting, wind briefing, seatbelt altitude, landing direction, landing out procedures, where to pack/packers. Make sure you can visualize your path from manifest through the jump until your rig is packed before you are done with the briefing.

3. New canopy - if you are questioning your ability on your equipment and adding in other variables (new dz) it is good to minimize the changes. You can rent student gear there, maybe you want to do a recurrency jump (whether needed or not) for the first jump with rented gear and keep renting gear until you feel comfortable with it then switch to your own gear. this may be 3 jumps or 20, it would be when you feel ready for a quicker more responsive canopy.

Some observations on Eloy - it is busy, however they have a huge amount of landing area and great outs. Never be afraid of landing off the grass in the desert if there is too much traffic. The air is dry so canopies tend to fly faster. Practice your flairs a lot. They have a wind tunnel - take advantage of it - get coaching - your flying will increase dramatically in a short amount of time. Most of all it is a great DZ, Have fun.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:07:16 pm »
First off, I am glad to see you pause and ask this question. Shows you putting some thought into your situation. Here are my opinions on your situation:

1. Currency - a lisence holders loose currency in 60 days with no jumps. If your last jump was in Tecumseh you are pretty close to if not un-current. This can be taken care of by asking for a recurrency dive at eloy. They have a good training program and will be able to help you out.

2. New DZ - make sure you ask for a full briefing when you first register/check in with manifest. questions to ask would include manifest procedure, loading procedures, where you should be when others exit (ie not in the tail of the skyvan/cassa), exit order, spotting, wind briefing, seatbelt altitude, landing direction, landing out procedures, where to pack/packers. Make sure you can visualize your path from manifest through the jump until your rig is packed before you are done with the briefing.

3. New canopy - if you are questioning your ability on your equipment and adding in other variables (new dz) it is good to minimize the changes. You can rent student gear there, maybe you want to do a recurrency jump (whether needed or not) for the first jump with rented gear and keep renting gear until you feel comfortable with it then switch to your own gear. this may be 3 jumps or 20, it would be when you feel ready for a quicker more responsive canopy.

Some observations on Eloy - it is busy, however they have a huge amount of landing area and great outs. Never be afraid of landing off the grass in the desert if there is too much traffic. The air is dry so canopies tend to fly faster. Practice your flairs a lot. They have a wind tunnel - take advantage of it - get coaching - your flying will increase dramatically in a short amount of time. Most of all it is a great DZ, Have fun.

You just always have to try and out do me, dont you. You sir need help

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:17:55 pm »

I just thought he needed more than a "don't worry, what ever happens to you I'll be fine" answer.  ;)

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 06:34:59 pm »

I just thought he needed more than a "don't worry, what ever happens to you I'll be fine" answer.  ;)

Thats the only speech i ever got from you!, Now i know what i really mean to you

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 08:08:09 pm »

Thats the only speech i ever got from you!, Now i know what i really mean to you

I am still trying to get you past the "Be Aggressive" speech. I'm sure one speech you will never hear is the "its not you, its me" speech because its you, its always been you and it will always be you.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 08:38:58 am »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 12:03:24 pm »
When are you going?

Offline Uncensored

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
Besides... Greg giving skydiving advice is like his boy toy Tiger Woods giving marital advice...
Who packed that?!

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »
When are you going?
We'll be there over the "winter break" in February. I believe that's the week of the 15th.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »
I was there in Feb a couple of years ago, nice place to go that time of year. I go out there as often as I can. A couple of suggestions specific to Eloy:

- Be prepared to show your USPA membership card, reserve data card, and log book (they may or may not ask for that). They accept both cash and credit cards for jump tickets, but give a 50 cent discount if you pay cash. The significance of that will depend on how many jumps you plan to do.

- Ask manifest for a dropzone briefing, and particularly for information on the "alternate" landing area. It's usually less crowded than the main area (that can depend on the winds, but if it's windy enough for people to flock over there it's probably too windy for you to be jumping) and isn't that far away. They'll also point out hazards such as buildings and the tunnel that you shouldn't fly over below I think 500 feet. They do have at least 1 tetrahedron, so make sure you understand the difference between determining wind direction from a wind sock and from a tetrahedron.

- If the grass landing areas look too crowded, you can land in the desert. If you're far away they'll usually come get you. But be aware that some of those bushes in the desert are as tall as you are - it's not just flat and sandy, there ARE landing obstacles. (One of them tried to eat my canopy when I jumped in some winds I shouldn't have and landed just a little off. It was sharp and prickly, and took a LONG time to get my canopy free without ripping it to shreds. Amanda still had to fix one of the lines when I got back.)

-  There are RW organizers there every day. Even if you don't jump with them, they are a great source of information about the dropzone itself, as well as other people who would be appropriate for you to jump with. Ask at the manifest window, and they'll point out the organizers to you. They frequently wear shirts that say "organizer" though.

-  In order to get on the plane, you have to ride over in a little tram. BE THERE at the 5 minute call, or you'll find yourself either running a long way or sitting on the ground minus a jump ticket.

- While the dropzone itself may be a lot busier than you're used to, there will likely only be 1 plane load of people under canopy with you. Especially on week days and early mornings. Of course you should be aware of how many planes are flying and if they're dropping at the same time as yours, but most of the time (unless they're super busy and flying more than 2 or 3 planes) they're pretty good about staggering takeoff times.

- Finally, take it slow and don't be afraid to ask questions!! (If you can, try the tunnel - advanced reservations strongly recommended - but be aware that it's addictive.

Offline Flyerer

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:47 am »
Hey Allison. Thanks for all the information. Sounds like you've been there a few times. I wasn't going to take advantage of the wind tunnel because of the cost, but you're the third person to mention it. I suspect that much uninterrupted time simulating "free-fall" will pay dividends.

By the way, thanks for your help this past summer. You probably don't remember, but you were one of my early instructors.

Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year!!

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:46:43 am »
NOT GOING TO THE TUNNEL???? You are making a huge mistake, even if its 5 min, do it. Have a drink for me at the Bent Prop.
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 02:40:46 pm »
My first trip to the tunnel was when I was in a very similar situation (<40 jumps and uncurrent with 2 jumps on my new gear). I actually did the tunnel time before my first jump at the new DZ. It was at Perris, which is similar to going to Eloy as a new jumper. I didn't plan it that way, but the weather worked out that way, and it was the best thing I could have ever done. It made me more comfortable in the air so I could worry about things like exiting, pulling and landing, without having to worry about the falling stable part.

As mentioned above, you don't have to do a lot of tunnel time, even 5-10 minutes will be helpful. If you do schedule tunnel time, when you call them tell them you'd like other people to space your time if possible. You'll get a lot more out of your time if you don't have to fly the whole 5-10 minutes straight. And tell the tunnel instructor you're a newly licensed jumper but a little uncurrent - they can help you with some drills that will be appropriate for you.

Have fun!! I'm spending the next 2 weekends in Eloy, it's my favorite "home away from home" DZ.

Hey Allison. Thanks for all the information. Sounds like you've been there a few times. I wasn't going to take advantage of the wind tunnel because of the cost, but you're the third person to mention it. I suspect that much uninterrupted time simulating "free-fall" will pay dividends.

By the way, thanks for your help this past summer. You probably don't remember, but you were one of my early instructors.

Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year!!