Author Topic: jumping for ex-military  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
jumping for ex-military
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:40 am »
Just ran into an old friend last night who is thinking about coming to do some sport jumps.

Apparently though, he had 36 jumps while he was in the military.  9 tandems jumps, 25 jumps in their training program, then 2 in duty.

He said all his jumps were on ram-air canopy's, most were hop-n-pop, but some free fall too. also, most were in full military gear, of course.

All jumps were done within one year, two years ago.

He (and myself) are wondering how that converts into a civilian license?

Would he still need to go through AFF/IAD or is their an abbreivated version of it?
whatever will i do to entertain myself on cloudy days....

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
Re: jumping for ex-military
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:54:11 am »
Without having a SIM in front of me I would suggest a trip to his local DZ with his log book and credentials. If there is no specific documentation from the USPA for his situation the DZ will be able to come up with a proper plan to evaluate his abilities and decide where he is at. If there is a documented process then they can help him as well.

Without any more information or talking to the individual I wouldnt feel proper in saying anything more concrete.

Hope this helps.

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:50 am »
p.s. your friend can contact me directly to get the ball rolling if he would like.  If i cant help, i can point him in the direction of someone who can.

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:02 pm »
he said he called "someplace" (probably napoleon, as he's also from jackson) shortly after he got out to see about continuing to jump, but they told him his military jumps wouldn't count for anything, and he'd have to pay for the full training program.

That pretty much turned him off to jumping since - didn't want to pay to learn for what Uncle Sam had already trained him for (in his opinion).

I'll tell him he should come out do a FJC and an AFF cat A jump, and then you'll be able to let him know from there, once you've seen him in the air.

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »
That is not what i said. He should come out with his log book and credentials. Then we will see what he needs to do. He very well may need a a FJC. However he may just need some currency training.

If he wants to sign up for a course he can, but again, i would suggest seeing someone from the dz first.

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:15 pm »
K, sorry, was just trying to read in between the lines.

I'll bring him out to talk to you sometime once the season gets going.

Offline skydyv

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:09:13 am »
How about bringing him out for safty day? That would be a good a good place to start. And the price is right. FREE

Offline Franz

• DZO
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://www.stuntphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
How about bringing him out for safty day? That would be a good a good place to start. And the price is right. FREE

Yep, bring him out for safety day. He can also attend the free refresher course second week in April. We can decide from there if he needs a full first jump course.

Cheers,

Franz

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 10:11:30 am »
NO MATTER WHAT BRING HIS ASS OUT!!! ;D ;D