Author Topic: advice for new camera  (Read 15411 times)

Offline Chrissy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: advice for new camera
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »
'flying camera' is flying camera no matter how you want to justify it.  You are fooling yourself to think that you aren't going to go low on a jump trying to get 'the shot'.  Or lose track of the other jumpers on your jump at breakoff because you were fixated on what was going on in front of you rather than around you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:30:58 am by Chrissy »

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »
so whats the best way to start?

Also, what are the other dangers/considerations that need to be made?  From what I gather so far:

pre-jump distraction(missing gear checks, rush to load, etc), proximity awareness, altitude awareness, and riser entanglement.

I see the idea that I could "set it and forget it" is wrong..  I would need to spend some time learning to fly camera, even though the end intention isn't really to fly camera (yet)...right?  Whats the timeframe to build those skills?  Just trying to figure out how involved it is or isn't (definetly more so than i previously thought).. and maybe this isn't a goal i should set for myself  this season.

Anything i can or should do before getting camera to work on skills that i would need once I do get one?

whatever will i do to entertain myself on cloudy days....

Offline Franz

• DZO
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://www.stuntphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 10:45:13 pm »
It's simple really, just be patient. Develop flying skills needed, and let everything you know right now, not just the jump - your whole routine from ground to air, sink in and become second nature. That way when you add the the camera it really will be an addition to your jump routine rather than interference.

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 12:05:46 am »
again, asking questions is the right start. the next step is to talk (in person) to foster about his experiance., franz, myself, chrissy, as many people as you can think of that fly camera. Learn what issues they have had and tips they have for you. then, when you are ready to jump it my suggestion would be to start with dedicating jumps to getting used to it. flying camera is awesome when it goes right and we want you to have the experience you desire. we also don't want you hurt because we didn't correct what I perceive as a mis-conception of safety.

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 01:51:58 pm »
I felt like people were just trying to keep me from putting the camera on my head but in actuality they just wanted to make sure I understood the consequences. 

YOU may be able to mount that camera and forget it but NO ONE around you will.  Your presence on a jump is now focused on your camera even if the other jumpers don't mention it they are going to geek the camera.  There is more to this but I would like to save it for a face to face conversation.

I forgot to turn my camera on 3 times last year... can you guess what I did?  No I didnt just forget about it I turned it on in freefall...  I ruined the first half of a $26 jump because I wanted my camera on.  Remember I had the same attitude you do about just forgetting about it yet I let it become a priority in the air instead of focusing on the jump.  My door gear check is now twice as long and even more complicated because of the camera.

Here's my opinion that I'll be going by for this season.  If I am on a jump that I want to video I will wear the camera but I will focus only on video'ing the jump not being a part of the jump that I want to video.  If I am fun/sport jumping I don't think I want to wear it anymore.  Flying video really should be the focus of the jumps you wear the camera on.  Especially for belly flying because you will find that almost 100% of inside belly video is an empty shot.  I have to crank my head back to get the person across from me in the shot and then I fall out of the formation because I stopped flying my slot.

I have more to say but I'm at work LOL  ;D

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 02:48:19 pm »
  Especially for belly flying because you will find that almost 100% of inside belly video is an empty shot.  I have to crank my head back to get the person across from me in the shot and then I fall out of the formation because I stopped flying my slot.

If you look like the guy across from the camera in the attached photo who's staring down the whole time, then this is probably true. If you fly head/chest high like the other 3 whose heads are pretty much vertical, you can get some cool inside video that shows angles not seen in the outside video and can be useful in debriefing.

Offline Max

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 08:06:36 am »
Does flying like that have more to do with body type or how you position yourself?

Especially for belly flying because you will find that almost 100% of inside belly video is an empty shot.  I have to crank my head back to get the person across from me in the shot and then I fall out of the formation because I stopped flying my slot.

If you look like the guy across from the camera in the attached photo who's staring down the whole time, then this is probably true. If you fly head/chest high like the other 3 whose heads are pretty much vertical, you can get some cool inside video that shows angles not seen in the outside video and can be useful in debriefing.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:39 am »
Does flying like that have more to do with body type or how you position yourself?

It's more a matter of how you position yourself. Looking at the ground guy and the guy on the far left of the picture have pretty similar body types. As you get more experienced and learn that (when belly flying) arms are really just for taking grips, and 90+% of your flying is done with your legs, you'll probably start to fly more head/chest high.

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
I think this might be the camera you were talking about? 

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=709

DSE jumps in Eloy and he wrote this article chances are everyone there is using this one ;D

edit** This camera is what the CX10 was supposed to be... the shiznittynit!!  and I think I'm switching to it so I can side mount ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:01:05 pm by Foster »

Offline Morrison

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
I was on the same load as Jeromy and saw the camera he was talking about. This is the camera Jeromy is talking about

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:53 am »
I was on the same load as Jeromy and saw the camera he was talking about. This is the camera Jeromy is talking about

yeah, i should side mount two of them, just to keep it all balanced!!

jon, did you see it eloy?  it was the aff instructor right in front of us on the high pull.

Foster, the CX100 is close, but it.'s not the one..  the most unique thing about the camera i saw in eloy was the placement of the lcd.  it was all the way in the back of the camera, no opening door or anything, just the lcd on the far back of the camera, directly opposite of the lens...

Offline Morrison

• Kinda chatty
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 07:38:24 am »
Yup I remember the one that you are talking about. It was a fairly small camera, probably about half the size of a normal camera.
I looked online for a pic but couldn't find any.

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
hmmm I wonder if thats a still camera not a camcorder?

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:32 pm »
hmmm I wonder if thats a still camera not a camcorder?

not sure, I didn't see a name on it, and haven't been able to find anything like it on the web at all

what do you think between the cx1000 and the webbie line?

it takes flash media rather than dv tape and has a lower resolution (1440x1080 vs 1920x1080).  But for mainly taking videos to post on the web, do you think it could be adequate? or would the lower qualtiy optics (presumed by the pricetag) make it worthless for skydiving at all?

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 11:33:15 am »
The webbie line is garbage for skydiving, for one there is no lens mount so no wide angle... CX100 hands down because if DSE wrote an article for DZ.com it's basically certified to work in skydiving.