Author Topic: Canopy choices, SOOOOO many  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
Canopy choices, SOOOOO many
« on: September 10, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »
Hi all, Well i am at that stage where i am trying to figure out what canopy to go to. I have flown the pilot 168, the Saffire 169. To me and my short experience, the Safire had some rough openings but was extremley responsive. The pilot was more consistent in openings but flew a little less responsive. I am basing this on about 25 jumps each.

There are many more choices and i want to get the right one as i intend to hold on to it for a good long while. I am jumping on a plane for the next 23 hours and will be reading up but i would like some input from those who have been around for awhile.

Maybe the manufactures offer some sort of rental, or demo time. Is there anywhere i can go to try a few different ones? Thanks in advance
Greg
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: Canopy choices, SOOOOO many
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:01 am »
Most of the big manufacturers offer demos. In addition to the Pilot and Safire2, you might try a Sabre2, Storm, Spectre, Sillhouette (all made by PD - you can request demos on their website, or ask Franz - think you can keep it for 2 weekends), or Fusion (made by Precision - not sure about demos, but ask). What is it you're wanting in your canopy? Good openings? Fast turns? Great landings? Something to lead you into swooping later on? Or just something to get you to the ground in one piece? Some are better for one thing, others better for something else. In the end though, all that matters is if you like it. They're kind of like cars - most people will recommend the one they have/had, and there's a lot of brand loyalty that may or may not be based on actual performance. You need to test them out (which it sounds like you're trying to do) and see which YOU like better, because that's the one that will be the best for you.

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
Hi all, Well i am at that stage where i am trying to figure out what canopy to go to. I have flown the pilot 168, the Saffire 169. To me and my short experience, the Safire had some rough openings but was extremley responsive. The pilot was more consistent in openings but flew a little less responsive. I am basing this on about 25 jumps each.

There are many more choices and i want to get the right one as i intend to hold on to it for a good long while. I am jumping on a plane for the next 23 hours and will be reading up but i would like some input from those who have been around for awhile.

Maybe the manufactures offer some sort of rental, or demo time. Is there anywhere i can go to try a few different ones? Thanks in advance
Greg

Are you looking to downsize or are you looking for a canopy in the sizes you have jumped? If you just want to try different canopies and not down size you are welcome to try my Sabre II 170 but please talk to Ryan to make sure you will be ok with it. My canopy is white and blood stains.  ;D
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:14:45 pm »
Thanks Pete,
i will give it a try once back in the town.
I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline rizzlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
I bought a Spectre 150 this spring and love it. More docile than other "all purpose" designs of similar size but feels right for my experiance level.  Handles and flares a litle bit differently than a 9 cell though.  Get a demo from PD and try it yourself.