Author Topic: AFF vs IAD to get licensed?  (Read 12777 times)

Offline Bob

AFF vs IAD to get licensed?
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:22:54 pm »
I just completed my first skydive yesterday.  I was looking into the process of getting licensed and I'm wondering which is better, AFF or IAD?  It seems like AFF would be the better route since you get more free fall experience in the process.

Also, I was wondering what the "category" letters mean on the jump progression page. 

Thanks.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: AFF vs IAD to get licensed?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:27:34 pm »
I wouldn't say that one is really "better" than the other, just that they're different. By the time you get your license, you will have been required to show the same skills no matter which path you choose. After you've had your license for a couple of months, most people (other than your instructors) won't remember which one you did. They do teach skills in a different order, and one may be "better" for YOU depending on your learning style, but both are good.

Most people will swear that whichever way they learned is the best. (I learned static line, which is similar to IAD, and I think that it was best for ME, though it may not be best for everyone. Now I'm an AFF instructor and I think that is good too.). Someone who is eager to learn to be a skydiver, listens to his/her instructor, and jumps frequently will likely do well with either method.

The "category" letters on the jump progression page are a system that the United States Parachute Association uses to divide student jumps into groups of jumps that focus on similar skills such as pulling your deployment handle on your own, learning to fall straight down, learning to turn, etc. Different categories require different numbers of jumps to complete.

Offline Galvar

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Gigity
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:00:10 am »
I just completed my first skydive yesterday.  I was looking into the process of getting licensed and I'm wondering which is better, AFF or IAD?  It seems like AFF would be the better route since you get more free fall experience in the process.

Also, I was wondering what the "category" letters mean on the jump progression page. 

Thanks.

MAN UP LADY BUG! AFF all the way BABAY!  :) ;) :D ;D good luck

I wish Franz and Paul R would stop fighting over me. I mean thier both Fugly!

Offline Mindcake

• Regulars & Staff
  • Been around
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:25 pm »
  It dosent matter...let me say that again....IT DOSENT MATTER......when you have 100 jumps knowone will be able to tell if you were a AFF or IAD student... my advice is to find out what kind of instructors are going to be around during the week for you to make a jump or two with after work.

JP

Offline bottles

• Has more than 2 cents
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:51:55 pm »
Better....better..better....always the same question, always the same answer. Neither.

Since i work for the dz as an aff and iad instructor i dont care which way you do it, and will try and be as politically correct as possible in my explanation.

Staying current, jumping OFTEN and not letting WEEKS go by between jumps is what will make or break your student progression. If you have to wait weeks between AFF levels to afford 1 jump, you are not doing yourself favors.

This can be counter acted by having a large chunk of change stored up for jumping before you start.

Break it down:

IAD
First step: Learn to get out of an airplane and land your canopy.
Second step: learn to open your canopy by yourself and on time.
Third step: When you are ready add free fall.
Forth: Add free fall skills.
By the time you are learning to do cool stuff in free fall the stress of flying a parachute is long behind you. By about 7 - 10 jumps. A really great building block type program.

AFF:
1st: Free fall stable and open your canopy on time fly and land your canopy.
2nd: Free fall skills, open on time and land your canopy.
3rd: Get out of the plane alone, free fall skills land your canopy.
This is complete in about 4 jumps. next jumps focus on more free fall skills.
 Much bigger bites of material. 

Finances come into play when you have to do a jump again because you missed a target skill. Less target skills per jump in IAD in the beginning means less chance to miss something and have to re-do the entire jump. Also, along the same lines each IAD jump is somewhat cheaper than AFF.

HOWEVER, the flip side, it takes a few more jumps before you are doing the whole skydive for on your own. 

When you graduate, either method, you are a skydiver with the same license.

Also, you can switch between methods. If you start one way and feel that the other method is more your flavor we can cross train.

If you have more specific questions about either program ask away. There is no answer to which is better. never is, never will be.

Which flavor ice cream is better, chocolate or vanilla? its a preference, must like the method of training.