Author Topic: Big canopies  (Read 5343 times)

Offline moon

• Split Decision myspace!
Big canopies
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:26 pm »
I drank what?

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Re: Big canopies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
man those mf'ers were crazy

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:58 pm »
yeah seriously.  I'm thankful that the pioneers that came before us invented all these great things like 3-ring releases and ram-air canopies because otherwise I dont think I'd be doing this stuff  ;D

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:22:05 am »
yeah seriously.  I'm thankful that the pioneers that came before us invented all these great things like 3-ring releases and ram-air canopies because otherwise I dont think I'd be doing this stuff  ;D

I got a customer that has a body shop here in town and jumped at Tecumseh back in the day.  He always tells me  that them square parachutes are not a good thing. He busted himself up pretty good  on his first  ram-air jump and never jumped again.
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:28 pm »
He always tells me  that them square parachutes are not a good thing. 

He's right, you gotta go at least semi elliptical  ;)

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:01:47 pm »
Just think about it, In 40 years bring out your Pilot 168 and tell one of the new kids to jump it. They will look at you like you are on crack. (same way we look at Larry). The one thing they got on us is they made those themselves. I dont think I could jump something that I made out of scrap parts. Maybe that could be a new project for us, we will build it and Victor will jump it. :P
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline moon

• Split Decision myspace!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »
They kinda made them themselves - mil surplus, with mods which gave a bit of forward speed, and steerability. Riggers - good ones - were like gods back then. The three-ring-circus definately has saved some bloodied-up noggins - unlike the former "state of the art".

Much better to have a little nylon whipping away, than a bunch of nylon with a chunk of steel attached to it.

I remember the first Crossbow I saw at Tecumseh - that was cool. Then the ram-air canopies. The high performance stuff you jump today makes the PC seem like a dinosuar (well, I guess it is). I get a kick when I see some of the old guys around, jumping canopies they marveled at when first produced.  The truth is, IMHO, they wouldn't be jumping if they still had to crash-land their PC's as a necessary part of human flight.
I drank what?