Author Topic: Tracking derby  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Sergey

• Kinda chatty
Tracking derby
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:32:27 pm »
http://www.trackingderby.com/

I think this website might be interesting for Paul and others, who take GPS devices with them in the air:)

Here they can upload their data and compare them with other jumpers from all over the world!

There are serveral categories including tracking in a standard jumpsuit, wing-suit distance flying, and cross-country canopy flight distance:)

Offline Evan

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Tracking derby
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:29:17 pm »
The "3D in Google Earth" thing is quite slick.

If you want to see what it looks like, first get Google Earth and then download the sample GPS data and open it with Google Earth.  You can hold the middle mouse button to rotate the 3D view, left button to pan, scroll wheel to zoom, and so on...

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Tracking derby
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:37:03 am »
Here's some GPS data from a tracking dive that we did at the beginning of the month...

http://pjenvey.jumplog.net/track254.kml.kmz

I have more on my GPS but I left it at the DZ for the week, so I should have some more after the weekend..  

geeking out is fun :-)

Offline Evan

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Tracking derby
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »
Quote from: "detroitpaul"
Here's some GPS data from a tracking dive that we did at the beginning of the month...

I have more on my GPS but I left it at the DZ for the week, so I should have some more after the weekend..  

I think I was on this dive.  I remember coming in from the west and ending up short of the airport.  If I'm reading the data correctly, it looks like we exited about 1.8 mi out and you opened up about 0.8 mi out (4,300 ft west/northwest of the landing area).  You didn't really land behind the row of trees did you?  :)  The readings were probably just off a little bit.  Still, that's pretty cool though.  Count me in for the windy day cross country with cameras and GPS.

If you figure a 2.5:1 canopy glide ratio, you could go about 6 miles in full flight with zero wind from 13,000.  If you're under say a midsize ZP canopy at a 20fps descent rate, you'll be in the air for about 11 minutes.  If you add a 40mph average tail wind, this could push you another 7 miles.  If you sat in brakes for a while, you could probably get a few more miles out of it.  If the wind is coming from about 285 degrees, this should put us out right over MIS.  :)

How's that for geeky?

DISCLAIMER:  These numbers will vary a LOT based on your canopy, wing loading, and a lot of other factors.  If anyone actually tries this, you are on your own.  And bring a cell phone.

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
Tracking derby
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:17 pm »
:?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?
EEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Einstein!!!
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Tracking derby
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:15 pm »
Quote from: "Evan"

I think I was on this dive.  I remember coming in from the west and ending up short of the airport.  If I'm reading the data correctly, it looks like we exited about 1.8 mi out and you opened up about 0.8 mi out (4,300 ft west/northwest of the landing area).  You didn't really land behind the row of trees did you?  :)  The readings were probably just off a little bit.  Still, that's pretty cool though.  Count me in for the windy day cross country with cameras and GPS.

If you figure a 2.5:1 canopy glide ratio, you could go about 6 miles in full flight with zero wind from 13,000.  If you're under say a midsize ZP canopy at a 20fps descent rate, you'll be in the air for about 11 minutes.  If you add a 40mph average tail wind, this could push you another 7 miles.  If you sat in brakes for a while, you could probably get a few more miles out of it.  If the wind is coming from about 285 degrees, this should put us out right over MIS.  :)

How's that for geeky?

DISCLAIMER:  These numbers will vary a LOT based on your canopy, wing loading, and a lot of other factors.  If anyone actually tries this, you are on your own.  And bring a cell phone.

Sounds like my kind of high pull! count me in for video!

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Tracking derby
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:51 pm »
thats what I want to do, a cross country in brakes from as far out as the uppers will allow.  Maybe we can talk Franz into letting us take one of the 182s out on one this weekend, sounds liek we already have a load.

Offline Sergey

• Kinda chatty
Tracking derby
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:37:59 pm »
thats what I want to do, a cross country in brakes from as far out as the uppers will allow.  Maybe we can talk Franz into letting us take one of the 182s out on one this weekend, sounds liek we already have a load.

little Cessna won't get you to 13500ft though...

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Tracking derby
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:59:19 am »
Quote from: "Sergey"

little Cessna won't get you to 13500ft though...

Actually it will - I've seen it up to at least 14000, doing a formation load with a twin otter of all things. But it would be a REALLY long ride and I doubt Franz would go for it  :lol:

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Tracking derby
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:04:45 am »
I'd be fine with either takign the 182 up to 10k, or waiting for a slow day to try it out of the caravan.  It's not cool to keep the next load waiting so we can goof around being sky-geeks  8)