Author Topic: recurrency jump wind restriction  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
recurrency jump wind restriction
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:46:26 am »
Hey all.. just trying to keep myself informed on the rules..  I'm looking through the SIM online, and i can't seem to find what i'm looking for.  The closest i can find is Section 2-1 (BSR's) subsection F:

http://uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section2.htm

F. Winds

Back to Section 2-1 Contents

Maximum ground winds

1. For all solo students

a. 14 mph for ram-air canopies

b. 10 mph for round reserves

2. For licensed skydivers are unlimited

Does being an un-current A license holder put me back to student status?

http://uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section5.htm

In section 5-2 Recurrency Training, it lists the things that should be done in a recurrency jump, but it lists no restrictions for when that jump can be done..  Is there something I'm missing here?  Or is there another section of the SIM pertaining to the wind restrictions for recurrency jumps?

Thanks,
Jeromy
whatever will i do to entertain myself on cloudy days....

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:35:47 am »
Think of BSR's as minimum recommendations. There is nothing that says a DZ/instructor cannot go beyond these recommendations (i.e. be more conservative/careful) at any time. For example, I probably wouldn't take up a student if the winds were gusting from 2 to 14, even though they were not exceeding the BSR limit.

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:53:23 am »
Yeah, i think it just caught me off gaurd that there would be any restriction at all.. I guess i didn't realize that needing recurrency really put me back to student status & imposed restrictions.

That, and i was REALLYYYY looking forward to getting in the air after such a long winter..

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:12:01 am »
It's not uncommon for dropzones to impose their own restrictions when the wind or landing area gets iffy. Some places (usually those with tight landing areas) only allow visiting jumpers with over a certain number of jumps. Others will announce temporary restrictions based on licenses or jump numbers when the winds pick up.

Tecumseh generally lets people make their own decisions, but don't be surprised if someone yanks you off of a load no matter what license you have (or at least gives you a stern talking to) if they think you've made a bad decision. I've seen it happen more than once, and it's for your own good.

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »
I swear, as i watched everyone yesterday, in my minds eye it didn't look 'tooo' bad, not 'tooo' windy, not 'tooo' turbulent... but, then again, there were a lot of people just watching, compared to the few jumping.

anyhow, i guess if five months off has effected my skydiving as much as my judgement, i think i should be a bit more thankful to those who didn't let me go up.

Well, here's to hoping for another beautiful weekend soon... perhaps with a bit less wind ;)

Offline wrappy

• Regulars & Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:28:38 pm »
I'm sorry to have had to stop that jump.  I know how you feel.  This is your first time off for that long and there is no way to tell just how rusty you may be.  I remember our jumps last year and that is the only reason you were as close to jumping in that wind as you were.  You probably would have been just fine, but the winds were gusting to 22 and very bumpy below 600 feet.  That is not a good place to be bucked around on an unfamiliar canopy for your fisrt jump of the season.  We will get your jump out of the way ASAP.  It's just not worth an injury on the first day.  You will have a full season of great jumps to come.

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:02 pm »
Quote from: "alex49201"
Yeah, i think it just caught me off gaurd that there would be any restriction at all.. I guess i didn't realize that needing recurrency really put me back to student status & imposed restrictions.

That, and i was REALLYYYY looking forward to getting in the air after such a long winter..

I feel for you. It sucks when you go out to the drop zone when you are geared up to jump and something happens that makes you stay on the ground. It is even worse after a period of time where we flat out haven't been flying. It is important to understand that the Staff at Skydive Tecumseh wants (needs) you to get in the air. We are only trying to do what is safe and I think Wrappy explained that in his post. I just want to let you know you don't "loose" your A-license or go back to student status after a long layoff. From the SIM for A Licensed Skydivers the recommendation is;

"USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within 60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups"

So basically it is up to the instructor weather or not the conditions are right for the jump.

So please don't think you were being picked on or singled out not to jump. We want you to get in the air and look forward to the day you do. Hope to see you soon.

Blue Skies,
Ryan

Offline Jeromy

• Has more than 2 cents
    • AEworks.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:30:57 am »
Yeah, I know everyone is just looking out for my best interest, and the more i think about it, i'm glad that it was stopped.  There were at least two or three good reasons not to take the jump (wind, diff canopy, uncurrency), and the only reason i was really pushing for it "i realllly wanted too" doesn't exactly add up to much logistically.  I didn't take into consideration how much the time off may have effected my jumping.

All in all, not jumping was the safest call to make, and i should've been able to make that call on my own.. but since i didn't; i'm you all did.

What are the weekday hours right now?  Still open wed/fri 5-sunset, or is that just later in the season?