Author Topic: Canopy Risk Survey  (Read 20591 times)

Offline Rhanold

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what is going on?!?!
Canopy Risk Survey
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:38 pm »
The USPA has a Canopy Risk Survey. I took it and learned a few things including a common maneuver I have not tried under my current canopy. My score put me in the High Risk catagory which I was quite supprised at. It also gave me 3 easy things I can do to get to the Average Risk catagory. It also got me pumped to fly my canopy again.  :D  Bring on the hop and pops.

http://www.uspa.org/safety/safetyday/RiskQuotient.pdf

Take the Survey and Post your score.

Score = 41  :shock:  :(

Offline Jeremy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
  • Packer Extraordinaire
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:47:54 pm »
Score = 36

I honestly thought I would have scored higher since I took a slightly aggressive approach to canopy flight.

I practice almost all the maneuvers on every jump, it's my favorite part of the skydive. Most of my points came from the winter layoff and me being pretty new on the canopy I'm jumping.

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:40:10 am »
Carrie and I took this a week or so ago, I didn't write down our scores but we were both just on the side of high risk.  I plan on doing a lot of hop & pops at the beginning of the season since I ordered new gear that will downsize me sometime in May or June.

Are there any canopy classes planned this year?  I know Brian Germain doesn't come by every year, but maybe we could plan something a little less formal like a one-day review of different types of maneuvers, with some hop & pops and landing videos or something.  There's a lot of good info in the back of the SIM and on the canopy progression card that's in there...

Offline PETE

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
    • http://WWW.HOUSEOFAUTOPARTS.COM
Re: Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:41 am »
Quote from: "Rhanold"
The USPA has a Canopy Risk Survey. I took it and learned a few things including a common maneuver I have not tried under my current canopy. My score put me in the High Risk catagory which I was quite supprised at. It also gave me 3 easy things I can do to get to the Average Risk catagory. It also got me pumped to fly my canopy again.  :D  Bring on the hop and pops.

http://www.uspa.org/safety/safetyday/RiskQuotient.pdf

Take the Survey and Post your score.

Score = 41  :shock:  :(

27 for me :D ,
HELLFISH #429
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Foster

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:47 am »
Quote from: "detroitpaul"
Carrie and I took this a week or so ago, I didn't write down our scores but we were both just on the side of high risk.  I plan on doing a lot of hop & pops at the beginning of the season since I ordered new gear that will downsize me sometime in May or June.

Are there any canopy classes planned this year?  I know Brian Germain doesn't come by every year, but maybe we could plan something a little less formal like a one-day review of different types of maneuvers, with some hop & pops and landing videos or something.  There's a lot of good info in the back of the SIM and on the canopy progression card that's in there...

Wish I had known then that he only comes every other year...  I would be interested in any canopy course we could put together.

Offline Chrissy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:13:34 am »
Quote from: "Foster"
Quote from: "detroitpaul"

Wish I had known then that he only comes every other year...  I would be interested in any canopy course we could put together.

We usual don't have enough interest to have him come every year, so we try for every other year instead.

Offline Jeremy

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
  • Packer Extraordinaire
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:20:45 am »
Quote from: "Chrissy"
We usual don't have enough interest to have him come every year, so we try for every other year instead.

I wanted to do it last year but couldn't make it out in time because of work. I'd be interested in some kind of course this year, an improv taught by Sporto/Marshall if they were interested or a course by Germain/Miller if either one of them could be brought out.

Offline Allison

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:48:37 am »
I got somewhere around 35-38 (my jumps/year and a couple other things are right on the cutoffs of points and I didn't feel like looking up exact numbers for things). I'm pretty uncurrent right now, so that will be going down some by the end of April.

Offline LAPaul

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 10:52:50 am »
I just did it again and I'm also a 41...

Offline AnKaLi

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:14 am »
42-43

I just need to jump more on my new canopy, play more with the risers and whatnot, which I don't mind doing at all.
:)

I'm still interested in taking Germain's course again if we can get enough interest about it....
I know thats right!!

Offline Bill

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 04:11:24 pm »
I just took it... And well, I got a..............

Offline AnKaLi

• Regulars & Staff
  • Soapbox in back pocket
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:33 pm »

We can always roadtrip...looks like he has some classes planned in PA (hopefully on the west side of the state) and then one weekend in Ontario. I'd be willing to do that if others want to :)
I know thats right!!

Offline mandalynn

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
Quote from: "AnKaLi"

We can always roadtrip...looks like he has some classes planned in PA (hopefully on the west side of the state) and then one weekend in Ontario. I'd be willing to do that if others want to :)

Hey, I'm interested too, just let me know when you want to go.
'm here

Offline jimo

• Regulars & Staff
  • Kinda chatty
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 10:13:27 pm »
Score=38! WTF? No one told me this was dangerous. I quit this bitch!

Offline mandalynn

• Regulars & Staff
  • Has more than 2 cents
Canopy Risk Survey
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 10:18:07 pm »
BTW, 30.
'm here